Wednesday 29 May 2019

Day 8: Letterkenny to Malin Head. 51.18 miles, Elevation 2794 ft.

Last day and it's dry but will it last, don't think so, rain is forecast, wind from south east, on my backside once more, yeah ! Couldn't face eggs so just had, yogurt, toast and some fruit, it will do.
Letterkenny was very busy but I knew my roundabout turnings, so was soon on the Derry Road, then veering north. Again a good hard shoulder but I took a couple of side road detours, just to get some peace from the traffic. Past Inch Island, Lough Swilly on my left, some beautiful beaches, calm, still no rain. Didn't see Murray, he must have passed when I detoured. Past lovely Buncrana where at one time I planned to catch the Rathmullen/Buncrana ferry, alternative route, but the ferry doesn't start till 1st June, how inconvenient. Brilliant road surfaces but losing time as I am taking so many photos, hey ho what's the rush ?  Some steep ramps but the traffic is light and considerate, sky still clear, some sunshine, still no rain. Into Malin village, signs beginning to appear for Malin Head, exciting. Murray has texted, he is there, steep hill to finish, I am 8 miles out. Nearly there then I see it, Malin Head, a World War 2 observation tower on top of a hill, cars and buses parked.  I know Murray will be watching but I have to stop for a photo " What are you doing, woman, just get here." Oh god, it is steep but nothing an Arran Belle can't cope with. Then I see Murray, a group of people cheering, a bell (a cow bell) being rung, and I am over the finish line. People are congratulating me, this isn't what I expected but wonderful.  There are two stalls, gifts and coffee/ cake. The lady from one of the stalls rings the bell when she knows a Mizen/Malin cyclist is coming in, so kind. A New Zealand man takes my photo and asks a lot of questions.  Murray presents me with some bubbly and gift plague he has just bought at the stall, my loyal support in so many ways, thanks a million.  I thought there was nothing at MH, desolate, the road just ended, but this has been wonderful.  After some delicious coffee/walnut cake/ green tea and more photos we get ready to leave, a quick wave to Arran across the water. Rain is suddenly in the air, what perfect timing, what a day, what 8 wonderful days. Ireland you have been amazing, loved it.  Till the next time  ( Will post again with some thoughts of my journey).
Totals:   461.6 miles  Elevation: 21,779 ft


Lough Swilly 


Rathmullan/Buncrana Pier


Lovely Beaches
Malin Head


Murray Spots Me!
Nearly There
Always a Hill at the End !

Last Turn of the Wheels !
Ireland E2E...Happy Days
My Loyal Support

Arran is Behind Me
Still Dry
Love It....although I did 743 kms

1 comment:

Linda BP 😀🚴‍♀️👍 said...

Great stuff Janice and a lovely way to finish. Xx