Sunday 26 May 2019

Day 5: Clarinbridge to Castlebar. 57.2 miles, Elevation 1563 ft.

Sun was out, porridge and fruit for breakfast, feeling fit, all looking good for the day ahead, bit of a breeze !  A lot of club cyclists on the road in the Galway area this morning, large groups, romping along giving me a wave.  Suddenly some were cycling with me but turning off at a junction ahead where two ladies were directing them. Stopped for a chat with the lovely Julie and friend, it was a charity cycle from Cork to Roscommon in aid of Epilepsy, Tour de Gaggs, again all the change in my pocket. Good craic with both, Julie finding me on Instagram, "fair play to you, Janice, fair play".  The wind was getting up, full headwind from the NW, certainly not on my backside. Tough, head down,  getting it done, definitely a day for just getting from A to B. Such a shame as the sun was out and the route was undulating, should have been flying.  Rich farmland, I have never seen so many herds of beef cattle. I had planned my route to skirt Lough Corrib and Lough Mask, they were there to my left but I couldn't see them because of trees and high hedges, just catching a glimpse at the lough head, disappointing. Maybe for the best as the wind was buffeting me, at times almost bringing me to a standstill, at the lough side it would have been stronger. At a photo stop the wind blew the bike out my hand, clattering on the road, but thankfully no damage down. Really impressed with Mr Garmin, never putting a wheel wrong, guiding me through lanes, alleys and roads. Only stopped for about 5 mins to eat 2 biscuits, didn't feel hungry today. Hard going, shoulders, lower back, bum all sore. Give me hills and a tailwind any day over headwind and flat.  Just a grind.  Murray cycled about 17 miles today meeting up with me on his return to Castlebar. Ate a huge dinner tonight, always mashed potatoes, followed by a Mr Whippy 99, apparently the Irish love their ice cream. Think the wind should be on my backside tomorrow, hope so. Still loving it though.

The Lovely Murray...Getting ready for the road
Julie and Friend...Tour de Gaggs
Hope Not ???
Rolling farmland
2 Biscuit Lunch Stop
Mr Garmin
Route planner
Beautiful Church
Another amazing house in middle of no-where.
Lough...at last
It is really Murray's Guiness !
Turket, ham, stuffing, veg, mashed potatoes...ate the lot !

1 comment:

Linda BP 😀🚴‍♀️👍 said...

Thank goodness. Fruit for brekkie!! Shame about the headwind. Think you should try the Guinness to fuel you for tomorrow although looks like your dinner should do that!! 😂 Well deserved reward and well done. X